cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund The sum of credits against the referenced transaction would exceed original debit amount

Hi,

I'm working on a Authorize.net refund process and each time I'm getting an error like this - The sum of credits against the referenced transaction would exceed original debit amount - while trying for a refund.

I'm submitting following details to Authorize.net for refund and I'm quite sure about  the amount being submitted to the authorize.net.

["x_login"] = XXXXXXXX
["x_tran_key"] = XXXXXXXX
["x_delim_data"] = TRUE
["x_delim_char"] = |
["x_test_request"] = N
["x_type"] = CREDIT
["x_method"] = CC
["x_relay_response"] = FALSE
["x_duplicate_window"] = 86400
["x_invoice_num"] = 6439
["x_description"] = description
["x_amount"] = 110
["x_currency_code"] = USD
["x_card_num"] = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
["x_trans_id"] = XXXXXXXXXXX
["x_exp_date"] = 12013
["x_cust_id"] = 181188
["x_first_name"] =
["x_last_name"] =
["x_address"] =
["x_city"] =
["x_state"] = NJ
["x_zip"] = 07011
["x_country"] = US
["x_phone"] =
["x_email"] =

This transaction was done on 2011/07/13 and I took the transaction amount from the raw results that got from authorize.net  during transaction. The original transaction was done x_type as Auth_Capture.

Please somebody help me to trace out the issue or why I'm getting such an error while trying for refund.

jayeshambali
3 REPLIES 3

Are you sure it hasn't been already credited, either partially or fully? Are you sure the amount billed originally was 110? Are you sure you have the correct transaction ID?

TJPride
Expert

I'm quite sure about the amount, because I'm storing the Authorize.net payment raw response and verified the transaction amount also sure about the transaction id.

But not sure whether this has been already submitted for another refund through Authorize.net merchant acccount as I don't have Merchant account credentials to check this. I will clarify this point.

I have a question, Is this error coming becuase of multitple submission for the credit ?

The error specifically says it's because the sum amount is larger than the original charge. That implies that multiple credits are possible.