cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund / Void Transaction ID

Hi, I am using AIM and have a questions regarding a CREDIT or VOID transaction.  I am setting fields amount, last 4 digits of the card and the transaction id of the orginal charge transaction.  The transaction is processed fine.  Is there a new transaction id generated for the CREDIT or VOID transaction and returned in response?  Any help would be appretiated...ed

zappullae59
Contributor
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello @zappullae59

A void will not generate a new transaction id since you are effectively cancelling the transaction.

A refund will result in a new transaction id being issued.

Richard

View solution in original post

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
8 REPLIES 8

Hello @zappullae59

A void will not generate a new transaction id since you are effectively cancelling the transaction.

A refund will result in a new transaction id being issued.

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Thanks Rich.  Is a Redund the same as a CREDIT transaction?  I found a tip on the forum, first try to VOID the transaction if that fails I then try a CREDIT.  Works nicely.

Yes, a refund is the same as a credit.

And these days, I'd recommend using the transaction api to fetch the original transaction to determine if it is settled.   If settled, use a credit.  If unsettled, use a void.   I used to use "void then credit" before this was possible.

Also remember that you can partially credit a transaction, but you can only refund the full amount in the case of a void.

http://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/index.html#transaction-reporting-get-transaction-detail...

Fantastic.  Thanks for the help

can anyone tell me for refund process i don't want to use account number and expiry date. i want to refund a customer using its transaction id. is it possible?

No, you cannot yet use just the transaction id for a void or refund.  Vote for adding that functionality here:

refundTransaction should not require anything other than original transaction ID

https://community.developer.authorize.net/t5/Ideas/refundTransaction-should-not-require-anything-oth...

For now, you have to provide the last four digits and the expiration date.  However, if all you have is the transaction id, you can query authorize.net for the last four digits and expiration date.

I am trying to refund a transaction to a retail account through API. It's saying this type of operation is not supported in this market type. Any of you know how to resolev the same?

Can I refund a transaction that was successful but now the credit card is expired?

ESalaj