cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund transactions via API failing all of a sudden!

Hi Guys,

I've been submitted refunds via the API for over a year and all of a sudden they have started failing this morning.  I get this message now: "The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit."

Authnet Live Chat tells me that the transaction ID is missing or the transaction type is being sent to the API.  However, I've checked and the right transaction ID and transaction type are being sent.  Additionally, the response from the API shows the correct transaction ID and transaction type.

Here's the response from the API (with array converted to string delimitted by "|" symbol):

"3|2|54|The referenced transaction does not meet the criteria for issuing a credit.||P|0|[CORRECT TRANSID]|Free Grp Sess (then $17.33/wk)[33]|17.33|CC|credit|8234|Cindy|Cumberbatch|||||||||||||||||||||||AA1BF760EC27C9158B032ABF67AE829D|||||||||||||XXXX8143|MasterCard|||||||||||||||||FALSE"

I've replaced the transaction ID above but I have triple checked it to be correct.  As you can see, the transaction type is 'credit'.  By the way, this transaction is 3 weeks old so it's NOT a transaction that has not yet settled. 

I'm at a loss at what to do on this.  Anybody have any suggestions?  Anybody from authorize.net who can check on your end and see what could be causing this?

I do REALLY appreciate any help I can get!

John

webgeek
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nevermind guys. 

Thanks to the very astute observation from Kristine at Authnet Live Chat, we ofund the issue to be that the customer had updated their credit card info for the subscription in question.  When we posted the last 4 digits of cc number to the API on the refund request, we posted the old cc number's last 4 digits.  This caused the transaction to fail.

Maybe something to look out for your implementation of ARB?

:)

John

View solution in original post

webgeek
3 REPLIES 3

Nevermind guys. 

Thanks to the very astute observation from Kristine at Authnet Live Chat, we ofund the issue to be that the customer had updated their credit card info for the subscription in question.  When we posted the last 4 digits of cc number to the API on the refund request, we posted the old cc number's last 4 digits.  This caused the transaction to fail.

Maybe something to look out for your implementation of ARB?

:)

John

webgeek

You're storing the last 4 digits of the credit card rather than asking Authorize.net for them prior to refund?

Yes, that's what we were doing before and that's what had caused our issue.