cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rounding and dataaccess with ARB

Good morning all.  I have reviewed the documentation and did some light searching on the forums and blog posts, but have been unable to find answers to a few questions concerning ARB and processing payments.

1.) How does ARB account for rounding errors, if it does?  For example, lets say I have a customer who purchases something from me for 350$, places an immediate payment of 100$, and we set the remainder to hit once a month for 6 months.  Simple math produces a 41.666666(repeating) decimal number as my monthly payment amount.  So, my rounded up value produces 46.67, which if you math out gives me a total payment of 250.02 which is .02 overcharge on the client.  Rounding down produces 249.96 which is a .04 undercharge to the client. 

Does ARB account for this in any way?  If I submit a total payment amount of 350$ in my XML, will ARB know to round down if the payment amount is over (or round up if the payment amount is under) the total amount of the invoice?

2.) Do we as developers have access to the tables which store our subscription information?  If possible we would like to avoid creating our own subscription tables and logic in our database.  In a perfect world it would be nice to be able to update or feed data into our own database from ARB.  This way we can avoid writing a lot of unnecessary triggers and table updates if a customer decides to settle in full early, pay more than the required subscription amount, etc.  As far as I've been able to determine I do not have access to this data, can not produce a transaction history which can be fed into the system, and have to use a silent post page if I wish to access that type of data?

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this, if I can help to make any of my questions clearer please let me know! 

jgajeway
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

1)There isn't a field for total amount, you set the amount for each subscription payment.

2) As far as I've been able to determine I do not have access to this data, can not produce a transaction history which can be fed into the system, and have to use a silent post page if I wish to access that type of data?

Yes, yes, and yes.

View solution in original post

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

So basically I submit my create subscription request with the monthly amount, ARB charges the customer every month for that amount, and I would be the party responsible for making sure we don't over/under charge?

Yes.

I'm assuming I would use update subscription to update the payment amount for the final charge so I don't over/under charge my customer?

Yes.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

1)There isn't a field for total amount, you set the amount for each subscription payment.

2) As far as I've been able to determine I do not have access to this data, can not produce a transaction history which can be fed into the system, and have to use a silent post page if I wish to access that type of data?

Yes, yes, and yes.

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

Thank you for your help, and yes I misinterpreted some C# code and thought I was submitting a total amount as well as a monthly amount.  First time working with this API so I'm still feeling my way around it.

So basically I submit my create subscription request with the monthly amount, ARB charges the customer every month for that amount, and I would be the party responsible for making sure we don't over/under charge?

I'm assuming I would use update subscription to update the payment amount for the final charge so I don't over/under charge my customer?

Yes.

Yes.

Thank you for all your help.