Highlighted
All Star

Re: SHA-512 in Perl

There is no code going to authorize validation thus far in AIM. We only have the coming back verification. The AIM guide says this is a redundant security check which echos what I’ve said the whole time about the modern API security check.

But since it’s been done thus far by the business and because there have already been a million hours invested in this might want to try just a bit longer. They have some use for it I would presume.

I’m seeing various syntax for Perl being posted here. I’m seeing strings that are concatenated with dots and quotes and strings that are not.

I am in agreement that this is an AIM integration. That’s why there are three response codes. I’m learning quite a bit about soon to be buried integration methods that I do not use from this hash exercise. I’ll find a use for it I’m sure.

Given that this is AIM, there is only the verification coming back and not the verification going in. And that would be a way to confirm for sure @smorrow123- when you did md5, were you creating a fingerprint going in? If not then it’s AIM. The sha512 mirrors the md5 process from all the docs I’ve looked at.
Highlighted
Contributor

To provide better clarity here is an update to all my prior post.

My method is "relay response" read link below

https://support.authorize.net/s/article/MD5-Hash-End-of-Life-Signature-Key-Replacement

Changes I used when posting the form to authorize.net

use Digest::SHA qw(hmac_sha512_hex);
$x_amount = "1.00"; # test amount
$x_login = "login id here";
$signature_key = "test signature key here";
$signature_key = pack("H*", $signature_key);
$x_fp_sequence = int(rand 5000) + 1000; # Some random number
$x_fp_timestamp = time();
$hmac_data = $x_login . "^" . $x_fp_sequence . "^" . $x_fp_timestamp . "^" . $x_amount . "^";
$x_fp_hash = hmac_sha512_hex($hmac_data,$signature_key);

Changes I used to process reply back from authorize.net

use Digest::SHA qw(hmac_sha512_hex);
$signature_key = "test Signature key here"; $signature_key = pack("H*", $signature_key); $data = qq~^$response{x_trans_id}^$response{x_test_request}^$response{x_response_code}^$response{x_auth_code}^$response{x_cvv2_resp_code}^$response{x_cavv_response}^$response{x_avs_code}^$response{x_method}^$response{x_account_number}^$response{x_amount}^$response{x_company}^$response{x_first_name}^$response{x_last_name}^$response{x_address}^$response{x_city}^$response{x_state}^$response{x_zip}^$response{x_country}^$response{x_phone}^$response{x_fax}^$response{x_email}^$response{x_ship_to_company}^$response{x_ship_to_first_name}^$response{x_ship_to_last_name}^$response{x_ship_to_address}^$response{x_ship_to_city}^$response{x_ship_to_state}^$response{x_ship_to_zip}^$response{x_ship_to_country}^$response{x_invoice_num}^~; $hash = hmac_sha512_hex($data,$signature_key); $hash = uc($hash); if ($response{x_SHA2_Hash} eq $hash) { ...
Highlighted
Contributor

@Renaissance

Yeah, I think you’ve got me on the right track with the 3 fields based on the updated documentation and using the AIM method. It has truly been a group effort. I will try tomorrow.  

And the data being sent has always worked, so I’m sure there is no verification on the send. 

The SHA is a bit different from the MD5.  The MD5 text field was the first field in the data string that was being hashed with the MD5 method. But with the SHA,  the hex value signature key is converted to binary and used as a key separate from the hashed values. 

BUT I really think we’re on the right track with what is being done and what I need to change (30 values down to 3 with correct hashing) - I just can’t test it out now. 

I’ll post tomorrow with the results.

Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author smorrow123
‎01-23-2019 06:28 PM
Contributor

I don't want to discourage you form implementing a security feature you think is needed. However, take a look a https://support.authorize.net/s/article/What-is-the-MD5-Hash-Security-feature-and-how-does-it-work - even authorize.net doesn't think it's needed for AIM

If you are indeed using AIM, you may be spending a lot of time on something not really needed, you could probably just comment out the part of your code that validates the hash.

If you are using AIM the path forward, as others have said, is to move to a more up to date API. Althought this is perhaps not the forum to say it, there are other companies with secure APIs that are much easier to use, and offer better support. 70 plus posts, mostly of people exchanging their ignorance, and not a single post from authorize.net says it all.

Highlighted
Contributor

@Renaissance @jgoebel @airman81

Ok, I am officially crying uncle. 

@Renaissance - I decided to go back one more time tonight - and set up the string with the login (I am not showing actual value below, but did use the correct one), trans ID (0 for tests) and amount as follows:

^theloginid^0^39.00^

I converted the sig key to binary and did the SHA hashing with that data string and the converted key. It still does not match the returned SHA hash. 

I am taking the advice given and just eliminate the hash check completely. That is with the assumption that when they actually do away with the MD5 hash and only have SHA-512, that they won’t then require that hashing be checked.

As stated before, I will suggest that my soon-to-be ex-employer look for a PERL programmer who can implement the API into our existing Perl programs. After all of this running around and spinning wheels for what should be a simple change, I have no confidence that I could follow the Authorize.net documentation and implement the API in the week I have left.  The other possibility also suggested by @jgoebel would be to tell them to find another authorizing company with an easier-to-use API and some support. ANY support would be better than the ZERO help from Authorize.net. 

I can’t mark this thread as “solved” or mark any one post as the solution, except maybe the @jgoebel post that suggested I just get rid of the hash check. BUT I DO want to mark this thread as closed, so I don’t have to continue to follow after I’m no longer using the email address that notifies me of posts. If someone can help me get it closed out, I would appreciate it. I’m new to the forum and don’t know the ins-and-outs.

Thanks to all of you who stayed with me and tried over and over to help. You all rock!

Highlighted
All Star

@smorrow123

You made a valiant effort and the cost/benefit of implementing this definitely has passed the breakeven point. Please disregard what I sent you earlier. Typing on a phone will eliminate line breaks, apparently. 

I hope the beaches stay sunny for you. And the islands, and wherever else you venture when you officially leave fun exercises like this behind.