cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Relay Response data truncates at non-ASCII characters

I've been using SIM with Relay Response for over a year without any problems. I update a table with customer info from the response. Recently I noticed that if a response field contains non-ASCII characters, the data is truncated right before the non-ASCII character, so if the data is 'Rhône-Alpes', only 'Rh' gets put in the table.

Actually, I'm not sure if the Relay Response is complete. Perhaps it doesn't contain the non-ASCII characters.

The table columns use utf8 for the character set, and I'm using array(PDO::MYSQL_ATTR_INIT_COMMAND => 'SET NAMES utf8') in my PHP PDO database connection.

I've tested the table update with several form posts that includes lots of characters from all over the Unicode table. It works fine.

Should I be encoding or decoding the Relay Response POST data? I'm stuck.

Thanks.

bobbymray
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PHP's utf8_encode function is what I was looking for.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Can't help you with the database question.

But for the relay response, I try it with C# as x_first_name and as a merchant define field by sending it to

https://developer.authorize.net/tools/paramdump/index.php

and it return the data correctly.

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

Thank you.

Neither C nor # are outside the range of the 128 ASCII characters, so your example hasn't quite tested for the problem I'm having.

Are the values displayed by the paramdump tool received as POST values?

Is it possible, for whatever reason, that the POST values prepared for the Relay Response are mangled if they contain characters from the upper range of Unicode? Sorry, my knowledge of character encoding is negligible, so I can't ask the question with any more precision than that.

Neither C nor # are outside the range of the 128 ASCII characters, so your example hasn't quite tested for the problem I'm having.

But it show that data wasn't truncates.

Are the values displayed by the paramdump tool received as POST values?

Yes.

The data I receive is fine. It is not truncated unless there is a character with, for instance, a diacritic, such as ö, or ê; something above the Basic Latin character set, in which case, yes, the value is truncated at that character.

The data I receive is fine. It is not truncated unless there is a character with, for instance, a diacritic, such as ö, or ê; something above the Basic Latin character set, in which case, yes, the value is truncated at that character.

Since you said the data receive is working. So the problem is with your database and not relay response?

I'm not sure if the data I'm receiving is fine all of the time. I am not 100% sure.

I don't believe the problem is with the database. The table columns use an appropriate character set, AFAIK, which is utf8.

What I did in my original post, in addition to describing the problem I'm having, is ask for advice regarding decoding the POST values.

So, to reiterate, does anyone have any advice regarding whether or not Relay Response values, which may include upper Unicode characters, should be decoded, and if so, how? I'm using PHP 5.2.

Thank you.

PHP's utf8_encode function is what I was looking for.

Thank you.