cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Timeout Errors

I am having a similar issue to several other that I see on the forum but I was not able to figure out a solution by looking at the other threads.

We use the SIM method with a relay receipt.  I have x_relay_response set to TRUE and the x_relay_url contains the URL for the receipt page.  We are receiving occasional timeout errors from our testing.  In the last two days, out of 50 transactions, 9 of them received the message that an error occurred, and I got an email message that said  "Your script timed out while we were trying to post transaction results to it".

I looked in the IIS logs and found that in every case but one, when this happened, the IIS log did not have a record of a POST to the receipt page.  In the other instances where it worked successfully there was a record of a log to the receipt page.

Several of the tests that were successful involved duplicating exactly the steps of the tests that failed... in other words, the exact same data was sent both times, and the first time it failed but the second time it was successful.

There doesn't seem to be anything these failures have in common, except possibly for the amount of time in between testing.  What I mean by that is that it seems that if an hour or two has gone by since the last time it was tested, then it seems to be more likely to fail.

Is there a way to determine exactly why the timeout error is occuring so that I can fix whatever is causing it?  We want to ensure this doesn't happen once we start using this in a live mode.

milleamy
9 REPLIES 9

I was having the same exact issues, with the first attempt causing a timeout error and subsequent attempts working fine.  Also getting an error again if I waited 1 or 2 hours.  Since no access attempt was logged from the authorize.net server when the timeout error occured  I thought maybe the timeout was actually a DNS lookup timeout on the authorize.net end.  I changed my domain time-to-live value from 1 hour to 1 week, and so far have not been able to reproduce the timeout error.  It's only been one day, so I'm not sure this is the fix, but it's looking good so far.

bob_b
Contributor

Bob,

Thank you so much for this.  I saw your post on the other thread also.  This is very helpful, and we are going to give it a try.

Amy

Amy,

Did you ever find a solution to your problem?  I am experiencing a similar issue where on occasion a transaction will fail with an apparent timeout on the first attempt and then succeed on an additional attempt.  This is also happening once out of every 10 to 20 transactions.

Thanks for any input!

Mark

I'm getting these this error 100% of the time.  Even if I submit another transaction in the within 5 minutes of the 1st.  I know that my website is being receiving the information from Authorize because it processes the information and updates our database.  The timeout occurs just before it displays the data.  We are using classic ASP.

A timeout occurs when Authorize.Net attempts to send the transaction response to your designated Relay Response URL but your URL is unresponsive for any reason. The most common causes are to use a URL which is not publically accessible, exists behind a firewall that prevents Authorize.Net from connecting to the page or uses any password protection or automatic re-directs.

If you see the timeout error immediately on all transaction attempts it's likely due to one of the aforementioned reasons but can also occur if you have a Relay URL specified in your account settings that does not match the URL you are sending in your request. Make sure that if you have one Relay URL specified in your account settings that you specify all possible URL's that you may use, or update your settings as/if you add new URL's to your site.

If you are only seeing this error intermittently, check to make sure that you do not have any processes running on the page that might prevent your page from writing the response to the page within 10 seconds. Any processes that you have running on the page should be performed after you have written the response to the page to prevent timeout issues caused by delays that may occur.

Thank you,

Elaine

Elaine
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Hi bob_b,

Could you please show me how to change domain time to live from 1 hour to 1 week? I want to give it a try, but I do not know where to change it.

Thanks,

ttmb33

ttmb33,

I think this particular issue was fixed long ago, so the workaround I suggested probably won't help if you are having a timeout problem.  However, to change the timeout, you must log in to  your account at the registrar (such as godaddy or network solutions) where your domain name is registered.  In the DNS management settings there should be a place to set the TTL.

I am receiving a similar error in Salesforce Sandbox.

I have page which is publicly accessible which calls the Authorize.net via SIM type of integration. Everything works perfect in the production instance, however it does not work in Sandbox. The only difference I found between 2 URLS is that, the page in production has https in the URL while in Sandbox it has http. Can this be the cause?

Has anyone integrated Authorize.net with Salesforce through SIM ?

pratiktanna

Hey pratiktanna,

Your best bet here will be to check with Salesforce to see if they have any info for you. In the meantime, I'd recommend subscribing to this topic so that you'll be alerted via email if anyone else from the community is able to respond with any comments. To subscribe, click Topic Options at the top of this thread and then select Subscribe. You'll then receive an email once anyone replies to your post.

Thanks,

Michelle
Developer Community Manager