Highlighted

Smart vending machine integration: Encryption questions

Hi -

Question summary: I'm confused about how encryption / decryption is handled from card readers.

Background:

Assume I'm building a very low cost, smart vending machine. When deployed, it will operate as a card-present, unattended terminal.  The machine will have in it:

• OEM card reader from Magtek, connected via USB to...:
  • A tiny board with a CPU / RAM running embedded Linux, running a custom little Python application which...:
  • Talks over a wireless data connection to the Internet.

The Magtek reader will be injected with an encryption key during manufacture, which will encrypt the card data at the reader head. Magtek tells me that this key comes from the credit card gateway provider, and that the vending machine passes the encrypted data directly (encrypted) to the gateway, which decrypts & authorizes.  (This is to avoid the possibility that a bad-guy inserts a USB device in-line in order to capture credit card swipe info.)

I'm working on the assumption that I'm using the Authorize.Net AIM method to conduct transactions.

Two things are not clear to me:

1. What key to provide to Magtek to insert.  I thought it might be the transaction key; but this doesn't make complete sense to me, mostly because I'm unfamiliar doing direct work down at this card swipe level.
  2. If I were to use an SDK, I wouldn't know what information to put into the various fields.  All I will receive from the swipe is "track 1, track 2"... contents - encrypted.

Can anybody straighten me out?

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Topics: 15
Kudos: 201
Solutions: 121

Re: Smart vending machine integration: Encryption questions

For this to be secure, the data can not be decrypted at any point before it hits Authorize.net. This means in turn that Authorize.net has to be able to take the encrypted data, along with some key that's set using a totally separate process and stored internally on their end, and decrypt it. While there is a field in the Authorize.net CNP API for specifying a device, as far as I know, there is no support for proprietary decryption of this sort. Here is an official post from April 2012:

http://community.developer.authorize.net/t5/Integration-and-Testing/authorize-api-integration-and-en...

Highlighted

TJPride is correct, but there has been some change of status since the post that he referenced. Our XML and SOAP APIs do now support the receipt of data encrypted at the card reader. In the very near future, you will be able to purchase encrypted swipe devices that are injected with the necessary encryption keys.

Unfortunately, we are still working out these distribution details with the device manufacturers. It will not be possible for you to obtain an encrypted reader until these agreements are finalized, but you can expect more news on this soon.

Highlighted

Robot vacuums cause it so you to have one less task to do every day. Rather than hauling out a bulky upstanding vacuum and driving it all over each territory of your floor, you can basically press a fasten or ask Alexa or Google Home to begin your robot. While robot vacuums don't really dispose of the requirement for an upstanding vacuum, they do decrease the recurrence of required upstanding vacuum sessions, making them an occasional errand rather than a standard undertaking. Best Budget Robot Vacuum

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

This means in turn that Authorize.net has to be able to take the encrypted data, along with some key that's set using a totally separate process and stored internally on their end, and decrypt it. While there is a field in the Authorize.net CNP API for specifying a device, as far as I know, there is no support for proprietary decryption of this sort. 

Highlighted

The main issue with FRP is that on the off chance that you've overlooked your Google secret key without any methods for gaining admittance to it, at that point you're successfully not ready to utilize the telephone that you paid a lot of cash for. [url=https://techieflow.com/frp-bypass-tools/]FRP Bypass Tool[/url]

Highlighted

new fantasy cricket apps

There is no restriction of the amount you can win in dream sports. There are heaps of Top Fantasy Cricket applications/Sites which offering prizes for utilizing your gaming skills.What are Fantasy Cricket match-ups A significant new fantasy cricket apps  number of despite everything you Figuring Out why we called it Fantasy Cricket So answer of this we are really not playing these games in genuine we are playing it before matches begin and accept who win or not win that goes under Fantasy that is the reason it is called Fantasy Cricket Games.

Highlighted

Best Shower Valve of 2020

Best Runners Headlamp 2016 and in Best of 2017-2019 In 2016, the Petzl Nao 2 was recorded as our best-evaluated headlamp – and it would have been a similar story in 2017 however the Ultra Rush turned out. At that point this Best Shower Valve of 2020   year, we've discovered the OLIGHT H2R Nova. Simply have confidence, this headlamp is truly outstanding on the planet STILL and ultra-sprinters are as yet utilizing this headlamp to contend in medium-term 50m and 100 mile runs.

Highlighted

Best Shower Valve of 2020

Best Runners Headlamp 2016 and in Best of 2017-2019 In 2016, the Petzl Nao 2 was recorded as our best-evaluated headlamp – and it would have been a similar story in 2017 however the Ultra Rush turned out. At that point this Best Shower Valve of 2020   year, we've discovered the OLIGHT H2R Nova. Simply have confidence, this headlamp is truly outstanding on the planet STILL and ultra-sprinters are as yet utilizing this headlamp to contend in medium-term 50m and 100 mile runs.

Highlighted

Re: Best Shower Valve of 2020

It will work incredible in all your sandblasting cupboards and for all your little to greater errands. Regardless of how little or  read unbiased how troublesome your cleaning task is, in the event that you are having this astounding item, you simply don't have to stress over anything.