cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Recomendations: Will CIM allow me to...

We need to allow a cusotmet to purchase multiple products and later capture costs when each product ships. Right now we're using AIM but the issue is we can't capture multiple times after a single transaction. Is CIM what we need to implement?

Scenario:

Customer purchases Product A ($10) and Product B ($30) on Monday.

Total purchase is authorized for $40.

Product A ships Thursday and we capture $10.

Product B ships on Friday and we need to capture $30 but AFAIK we can't since the original transaction was settled.

Scenario 2:

Product B ships on Friday and we need to capture $30 but AFAIK we can't since the original transaction was settled.

Customer purchases Product A ($10) and Product B ($30) on Monday.

Total purchase is authorized for $40.

Product A ships Thursday and we capture $10.

Product B ships on Friday [but the price changes to $28] and we need to capture [$28]. We would never capture for more than what's authorized originally.

I was under the impression I should createCustomerPaymentProfileRequest for the customer during checkout on Monday and then seperate createCustomerProfileTransactionRequest callbacks on Thursday and Friday when the products ship.

Is this the best approach or did I miss something and AIM already allows this?

sproutventure
1 REPLY 1

You can't do multiple partial captures with Authorize.net, so you are pretty much left with authorizing for the full amount, capturing for the first item that ships, then authorizing and capturing for the second item amountt when it ships as well. That will require CIM as far as I can tell, yes, and your outlined method is more or less the way to do it. One further note - you will be charged a transaction fee twice, since you're authorizing and capturing twice and not once, so figure that into your pricing.

TJPride
Expert