cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax added to "Simple Checkout"

Please tell me how to setup "Simple Checkout" to calculate tax. The tax rate is 8% in CA.

Thanks,

Jerome

Jerome Freedman, Ph. D.

jerome@enneagram-instrument.org

http://www.enneagram-instrument.org

premmala
5 REPLIES 5

SImple Checkout is not capable of calculating a tax rate.  The tax rate must be included in the cost of the item that you are listing.

Trevor
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

I do not get this - I only need to charge TAX for buyers from California. If I include TAX in the price of the product - will I effectively "charge" tax even buyers not from California?  Or am I missing something?

The best way to handle this with Simple Checkout would be two make two separate simple checkout buttons and direct Californian buyers to the buttont hat includes the necessary tax.  For a more automated solution, you would have to investigate one of the more advanced APIs.

I'm not familiar with this particular method - I use those more advanced API's that Trevor is talking about - however, if you're passing the charge amount as a form field, it's pretty easy to add a piece of Javascript to recalculate the amount based on whether they click a checkbox for CA tax or not. If the amount has to match the one in the generated HTML, then you can create two "Buy Now" buttons and then swap between them based on whether the checkbox is clicked. Either way, Javascript is the answer.

If you still can't figure it out, give me a call at (636) 825-2299 or email at theodorepride@gmail.com.

Hi TJPride,

I'm having the exact same issue, for a shop in North Carolina.  They only need to charge to tax to NC customers.  Might you have time tomorrow to help with a javascript coding example, for the checkbox? 

I'll send you an email just now as well.

Thanks,

Josh