cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The connection with the server was terminated abnormally

I’m getting this error every time I try to send a transaction to my sandbox account: “The connection with the server was terminated abnormally”. The server is not using TLS 1.0 or 1.1 and when I use the production server with a test CC number it is sending back the invalid card message so it is working on the production server but not the sandbox. The sandbox should be sending a test approval response back.

Anyone have any ideas why this could be happening?

TerryO
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Applying the patch on the 2008 server did not fix the problem. So, we moved the site to a 2102 server and all seems to be working now.

Thank you for all the help!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
What server environment and application language are you posting to the API from Linux or Windows, what version?
Powered by NexWebSites.com -
Certified Authorize.net developers
NexusSoftware
Trusted Contributor

Windows server using classic ASP XML posts - been working fine for years until I started using the same code on a different page on the site. The production server is processing real credit cards fine - it's just the sandbox that gives me this error.

The Sandbox currently only accepts TLS 1.2 connections. For Classic ASP, try running the following:

<%
Set objHttp = Server.CreateObject("MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP.6.0")
objHttp.open "GET", "https://howsmyssl.com/a/check", False
objHttp.Send
Response.Write objHttp.responseText 
Set objHttp = Nothing 
%>

Powered by NexWebSites.com -
Certified Authorize.net developers
NexusSoftware
Trusted Contributor

Response says TLS 1.0 (below) but when I check the site with SSLLabs.com it says TLS 1.0 = no, TLS 1.1 = no and TLS 1.2 = yes. and my server tech tells me TLS 1 and 1.1 are disabled

{"given_cipher_suites":["TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA"
"TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA"
"TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA"
"TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA"
"TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA"
"TLS_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA"
"TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA"
"TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA"
"TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA"]
"ephemeral_keys_supported":true
"session_ticket_supported":false
"tls_compression_supported":false
"unknown_cipher_suite_supported":false
"beast_vuln":false
"able_to_detect_n_minus_one_splitting":true
"insecure_cipher_suites":{}
"tls_version":"TLS 1.0"
"rating":"Bad"}

ASP relies on Schannel for secure communications. Is your Windows version > 2008? If so, check out Microsoft's article : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3140245/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-a-default-s...

By the way, the production API will be transitioning to TLS 1.2 connections only soon, as well.