cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transaction Error Notification - Script timed out but never hit Response URL

We have been using Authorize.net for a little over a year now and never received the error message below until last week on 3/5/18.  Since then it has been occuring a few times every day.  While its only a few (~5% of our transactions) we need to find a solution.

Authorize.Net Merchant,

Your script timed out while we were trying to post transaction results to it.

Transaction ID: 0

Transaction Result: The merchant does not accept this type of credit card.

The following message was displayed to the customer:

------------------------------The reporting of this transaction to the Merchant has timed out. An e-mail has been sent to the merchant informing them of the error. The following is the result of the attempt to charge your credit card.

The merchant does not accept this type of credit card.

I have contacted support a couple times and they sent me a support article about it but didnt help.  They recently pointed me in the direction of these forums.  I found a similar forum post here https://community.developer.authorize.net/t5/Integration-and-Testing/Your-Script-Timed-Out-Relay-Res...

but the issue seemed to have been resolved by clients upgrading to TLS 1.2.  Our host is/has been using TLS 1.2 so that cannot be the issue and Authorize is not even hitting the Response URL for it to time out.  The error also happens instantly so could not be a script error after 10 seconds.

Can a developer please help to identfy/resolve this issue happening.  I can provide times for each of the instances if that helps to look up on your end.

Thanks

celearn
23 REPLIES 23

I am having the same exact issue! After investigating. My timeouts started around March 5th as well. This was in the middle or gap of time I updated any software, so that eliminates as an issue. 

I will ask my server admin to update the server to and let you all know of the outcome. But at this point it seems to much of a coincidence that it has happened to all of use around the same time. Makes me feel it has something to do on their end.

We are having the same issue. And it started about the same time. We've also contacted support, which told us to go look in the developers site and the forums. Not much help there either. 

We were thinking to check our firewall, but we cannot even find out the IP address that sends the  responses to our servers.  Because we know 100% that no responses are reaching our servers.

Basically,  we get this message:

Authorize.Net Merchant,

Your script timed out while we were trying to post transaction results to it.
   Transaction ID: ***********
Transaction Result: This transaction has been approved.

The following message was displayed to the customer:

------------------------------An error occurred while trying to report this transaction to the merchant. An e-mail has been sent to the merchant informing them of the error. The following is the result of the attempt to charge your credit card.

This transaction has been approved.

It is advisable for you to contact the merchant to verify that you will receive the product or service.

------------------------------

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Update

My server admin has updated everything and this issue still happens.

I have tested a sandbox acount and the order goes through just fine, so it can't be a URL issue

I have turned off all plugins and tested, this erro still happens

Lastly I have tested other processeors like paypal and orders go through just fine.

I have sent an order into customer service to look into this issue first hand

We are having the exact same issue. We have been using Authorize.net for years and always have a small amount of time outs, but as of the weekend of March 10th, the amount of errors have increased 5 times. We can't attribute this to any change on our end. We have a support case open but haven't been able to reach a developer. I sent an email with a log showing all of our errors since this time last year which clearly shows the increase and am awaiting a response.

wkuit

Spoke with customer service yesterday (Monday).

They told me that they had deprecated TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 in ealy March. I told them that our site supported TLS 1.2 but still had TLS 1.1 supported. They said that I must not have TLS 1.2 as the primary protocol. They indicated that in 80% of the cases the problem we've been seeing since early March were related to legacy support of TLS 1.0 and 1.1.

In response, we completely disabled TLS 1.0 and 1.1 on our site. We only support TLS 1.2 as of noon yesterday.

Since then we have had 3 timeout errors out of approx. 10 transactions.

Here's my guess: when they decided to stop support of the older TLS, one of the techs messed something up on one of their servers. If you're unlucky enough to hit the defectively configured server, it coughs up a fur ball and blames the client as a "timeout error."

We've also been having this problem.  The first error we saw was on 3/7 and we have been getting about 5% errors a day. 

We opened a ticket with authorize.net.  They tried to blame TLS 1.2 encryption, which we have enabled.  We haven't received any other feedback from our ticket.  If it was a TLS 1.2 encryption issue wouldn't all of our payments be failing, not just 5% of them?

Based on the traffic in this forum it sounds like this is a common problem.  I encourage anyone else with this problem to post here so maybe we can get more visibility on this so authorize.net will actually address this problem.

ac493

Has anyone seen any improvements on this problem? We had 3 errors on 4/10, 1 error on 4/12 and no errors since then. I'm happy for the improvement but a little skeptical that it's permanant since they haven't responded to my case with any information. Just curious if anyone else has seen any improvement since last week?

No improvement for us.  We are looking into other payment gateways since no one seems to be addressing this at authorize.net

We are also facing this issue since the first week of March. Authorize.net has mentioned that there are a number of possible causes of Relay Response timeouts and connection issues.

https://support.authorize.net/s/article/Why-Are-My-SIM-Relay-Response-Transactions-Timing-out-After-...

and mentioned that Relay URL is a legacy product and likely won’t be supported for much longer (guessing next year if not sooner).  Webhooks are a much more reliable response whereas the response will do several retries to communicate to your endpoint. 

Any suggestion?

SBanerjee1

Thanks SBanerjeel. That was very informative.