cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underlying connection was closed: an unexpected error occurred on a send.

Badly in need of help. Backstory: I'm a week or so out from replacing an old system someone cobbled together for my client using VB. Files on the server are compiled, and I'm also not very familiar with VB. I can't wait to take the thing out back and shoot it, but until the new site is ready it has to work, so I really need help :(

Yesterday, the client reported a problem processing payments. Here's the error we're getting:

The payment failed: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. / Stack Trace: at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(TransportContext& context) at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream() at AuthorizeNet.Submit()

I wondered if it was due to 3DES retirement on the 18th. The last successful transaction was done on Sept. 19th at 10:12am ET, so I'm not sure. Would that have been possible if it is due to 3DES?

Authorize.net Live chat said based on the message, it is a GET request, and I'll need to update the Post transaction method. I understand the concept here but not the execution of the change.

There's another thread with the same title/error but I'm not sure if it's quite the same, or how to implement the solution. https://community.developer.authorize.net/t5/Integration-and-Testing/Sandbox-issues-The-underlying-c...

If anyone can help or even get me on track with a real direction, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jeff

itsyourit
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nexus, thanks for offering potential solutions, in a way you did provide the one that worked.

I went back and reviewed the hotfix from Microsoft. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/948963)

I missed the link for other versions available. We needed the x86 package, not the default one. Once that was applied and the server restarted, it worked.

So if anyone else happens to have this issue, try the hotfix and make sure you have the right version.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

After more testing and reading, I'm getting the impression the problem is stemming from 3DES retirement.

I'm not sure how to correct the issue. Is it a server feature/setting that needs to be updated? Is there anything in the code that will have to be changed?

I disabled 3DES on the server using IIS Crypto, as suggested in some other topics, and could no longer access the site in https.

I should probably point out that it's Windows Server 2003. If there's a band-aid for this, it would be a tremendous help and buy a little time to finish the new site. If anyone has ideas I'd appreciate it.

itsyourit

There is a HotFix for Windows 2003 servers to enable stronger cipher suites :https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/948963

You should be able to disable the weak ciphers with IIS Crypto.