cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using auth_only on a bank account payment profile in CIM

Is it supported to process an auth_only transaction against a bank accout payment profile in CIM? 

In my testing against the test server, it appears that the auth_only transaction goes through, and I am able to later do a capture only with the transaction ID.

Will this appropriately reserve the funds in the customer's bank account until the capture occurs?

I thought that this was supported, but just heard a claim that the auth_only transactions are only for use with credit card payment profiles.

Thank you for any clarification you can provide.

Tom

tGroff
3 REPLIES 3

Hi tGroff,

Submitting an Authorize_Only transaction type on an eCheck.Net transaction doesn’t hold the funds against the customer's bank. Because eCheck transactions are not processed in real time, this does not work like credit cards where an authorization code is generated and you can capture the funds later.

Thanks,
Joy

Joy
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Joy, thank you very much for your response.

Please let me make sure that I am clear on this.

When working with eCheck.Net transactions

- authorize only has no effect

- "auth and capture" and "capture only" do exactly the same thing, in that they capture the funds from the customer's bank account

Is that correct?

Are there any other ways in which transaction processing with eCheck.net differs from credit card processing?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi tGroff,

Authorize and Capture and Capture only do the same thing, they capture funds but the process is different. Authorize and Capture is the default transaction type, this process is completely automatic while Capture Only is used when you have an authorization code from the issuing bank, this code is required when submitting this transaction type. Since ACH transactions do not generate this 5 or 6 character alphanumeric code this will not work when processing eCheck charges.

Unlike with credit cards,  the availability of funds is not verified in real time for eCheck. You can check this article for eCheck settlement process.

Thanks,

Joy

Joy
Administrator Administrator
Administrator