cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validating eCheck.Net Account Number

Hi All,

We are implementing eCheck and I wanted to confirm something becuase I can't seem to find any documentation on it - if someone has a link that explains this, that would be great!

When I do an eCheck test transaction, I see it as pending and I understand that it will batch at some point like credit cards. What I want to confirm is if I am understanding the post below, Account Numbers used in eCheck transactions are not validated real-time. That we must use the the reporting api to check if it was actually funded successfully. Makes sense to me, just want to confirm. 

https://community.developer.authorize.net/t5/Integration-and-Testing/Authorize-data-for-Bank-Account...

jayagnew1
Contributor
3 REPLIES 3

Hi jayagnew1,

When processing an echeck transaction, the only thing that is verified is the ABA routing number, making sure it is a valid number. As soon as you submit the transaction data, routing number is verified so if an invalid routing number is entered the transaction will decline right away. The bank account number is not validated in real time.  It could take a couple of days or more for the account number to be validated so it is very possible that after 3-5 days the eCheck transaction will come back as a decline due to invalid account information or even issue with the funds. You can also refer to this article for more details.

Thanks,

Joy

Joy
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

Hello,

Is there a way to check that the ABA routing number# is a valid ABA routing# without creating a transaction request?

Thanks

Hi @avath241

There are sources where you can obtain a list of ABA routing numbers, and you can check a routing number against that list.