cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webhook automatically disabled

Hi all.   I'm using the new hosted form method via a full page redirect to the authorize.net form, not an iframe or modal.  So in order to capture the results I'm using webhooks.  This has been working fine.

Yesterday someone submitted a live payment and I noticed my application did not reflect the payment.  After some digging, I saw that the webhook I had set up was showing as "inactive".  I definitely did not change that status, nor could anyone else have, so what would explain it suddenly becoming inactive?

The only thing I can think is that my handling script has logic in it where if a temporary issue occurs (e.g. could not make a database connection) then it will return a 400 status code instead of 200 so the webhook will be called again.  Is it possible that the auth.net system saw the target URL return 400 a few times and decided it was an invalid URL so disabled it?  If so, what is the threshold and how else should it be handled when you want the system to resend the notification later due to a temporary error?

Part 2 of the question is that now that I've reactivated it, is there any way to resend the notification(s) that were not sent while it was inactive?

wp
Contributor
13 REPLIES 13

@wp

A Webhook will change to inactive if we're unable to connect after 10 tries over 5 days.  You can use the notification history to check for notifications you may have missed.

http://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/features/webhooks.html

Richard

RichardH
Administrator Administrator
Administrator

@RichardH I did check the history but the last item is from 3 days ago. It does not seem to show any history for notifications that happened after the webhook was disabled.  So how would I find those notifications and resubmit them to the webhook URL with the original payload?

@wp

I received clarification on my previous response.  The notification history will show the failed attempts to send a webhook prior to deactivation.  For transactions following that, you'll need to use Transaction Reporting.

Richard

RichardH
Administrator

@RichardH  So is that to say there is no way to resubmit a skipped/failed notification?  That could be a nightmare in the event there were many instances, especially since there is no alert sent that the webhook has been silently disabled.

@wp

I agree we need better reporting when a Webhook is disabled, and it's been discussed internally as well.

May I suggest posting this as a new feature using our Ideas forum. This will allow others to vote on and make suggestions to improve the request.

We're scheduled to review new requests next week.

Richard

RichardH
Administrator

Just to chime in here: it is possible to build your own way to check to make sure your Webhook notifications are still active. You could query the Webhooks API to return the details of all Webhooks or for an individual Webhook. If the status is reported as inactive for anything that you expect to be active, you can sound the alarm on your end, or just send a request to the API to reactivate it. Additionally, querying for notification history would let you see if a notification has failed, perhaps in time to fix something before the Webhook goes inactive.

@RichardH @Aaron 

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I know we can monitor the webhooks to keep checking their status as an interim workaround, but I still think something as significant as auto-disabling should not be done silently - it should be accompanied by some sort of alert or advance warning. 

Regarding the second part of the question, I wasn't clear on whether it is possible to re-trigger a webhook in the event it never fired or did fire but there was some issue with the receiving script?

wp
Contributor

Hi,

Not possible to re-trigger the webhook with a historical payload, unfortunately. That's something we'll look at, along with notifications of inactivation.

Would like to follow up on this: has anything here been implemented?  Esp. notification of webhook disablement?