cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What percentage of webhooks fail to deliver due to authorize.net vs server?

I am testing an application that will go live shortly. I have had my webhooks endpoint set up and working for several weeks now. I am determining if there may be a need for my customer (a retailer) to have a webhooks call on the backend of the site to show any failed deliveries. 

This would take a substantial amount of work on my part, and there are other workarounds for failed deliveries. The reason I am debating having any backend functionality, is for my tests so far, I have ran well over 100 transactions, and I have not gotten one failed delivery yet. All transactions that have went through have hit my endpoint. 

If/when webhooks fail, does anyone have any idea of the delivery failure rate, and a rough idea of what proportion of those are attributable to the server hosting the website? We use a shared hosting provider that has a very high uptime. It is the same provider that I have ran my tests on from as a remote server. 

This all assumes that the webhooks endpoint in the merchant interface is set up correctly and that the endpoint is configured correctly. I'm not looking for any failure rate due to anything related to an incorrectly set up webhook, flawed X-Anet validation script, etc. just what how often things fail when they "should" not. 

If it's a once in a blue moon thing then it's really not worth the effort of configuring the backend. Thanks in advance for your help. 

Renaissance
All Star
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Renaissance, it's good to read that your experience with Webhooks has been great so far during your testing phase. While we can never argue with adding even more reliability (in your case, by letting the customer know when delivery fails), I think you'll find that we have a robust retry mechanism that should guarantee notification delivery as long as the recipient server comes up in a reasonable amount of time. See: https://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/features/webhooks.html#Notification_Retries for details.

View solution in original post

gmokhasi
Authorize.Net Expert Authorize.Net Expert
Authorize.Net Expert
1 REPLY 1

Hi @Renaissance, it's good to read that your experience with Webhooks has been great so far during your testing phase. While we can never argue with adding even more reliability (in your case, by letting the customer know when delivery fails), I think you'll find that we have a robust retry mechanism that should guarantee notification delivery as long as the recipient server comes up in a reasonable amount of time. See: https://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/features/webhooks.html#Notification_Retries for details.

gmokhasi
Authorize.Net Expert Authorize.Net Expert
Authorize.Net Expert