cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can a SIM/getHostedPaymentPage notify the hosting page that the address/state/city/zip has changed?

Yes, I am a newbie to both web programming and authorize.net...

Our product sells in Colorado, which has a fairly complex tax system. In order to calculate taxes correctly, our page needs to either have it done by Authorize.net (which I found nothing for) or we can do it ourselves. However, in order to do that our page would have to intercept the "Pay" submit, to get and add the taxes. How is this done?

We must use SIM as we do not host SSL. I have not seen anything on this.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

mboss131
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @mboss131,

I might need a little more clarification from you on exactly what you're trying to do. However, with Accept Hosted when you request a token, you have the ability to specify all of the information that needs to go with the transaction, including tax information. Then when the payment form is loaded in the customer's browser, any tax or other sub-amount information will be displayed to the customer.

If what you're saying is that a customer might put in a different address on the form than what you've calculated tax for, the best thing you can do is to not allow them to change the address on the form. Using the hostedPaymentBillingAddressOptions parameters, you can set the address to not show on the form. Then, before redirecting your customer to the form, you'd want to get or verify the customer address yourself and calculate the tax appropriately. Then, send the address that you collected in with the transaction information in the token request (as specified in the API Reference

Aaron
All Star

Aaron,

Thank you for your timely reply.

I understand your answer and already have coded it that way. However, I am having these issues...

1) A negative line item (discount) causes an error.

2) Where is the response? How do we know the result of the charge?

3) How do we get rid of the receipt page (without iframe)?

A little more background. I am a newbie to all web programming. I am long time C++ Architect. We need a closed loop on our credit card transaction so we may deliver the purchaser their license keys.

We opted for the "simple" Authorize.net getHostedPaymentPage because it alleviates us from all the compliance issues. We do not have an SSL certificate, so I have read that iframe is out (also it's complexity and github samples ellude me.

Thank you for your help

mboss131

Hi @mboss131,

1. A negative line item isn't allowed by our API. If you'd like to be able to send a negative amount either in a lineItem field or perhaps a separate discount field, I'd encourage you to post this onto our Ideas Forum where others can take a look, contribute feedback, and vote for new features.

2. As stated in the docs, how to get the results of the transaction vary depending on whether you're redirecting or using an iframe, but if you're redirecting, there aren't a lot of options. You can either wait for someone to click the "Continue" button and land back on your site, or listen for a Webhooks notification. Not a lot of other options, I'm afraid.

3. As stated in the docs, without an iframe the receipt page is always displayed.