cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eCheck Testing Doesn't Validate Account Number?

I am developing a Credit Card and eCheck process to handle payments.  Credit Cards are working just fine, but testing for eChecks has been perplexing to say the least.

I've never been able to find an actual "Test" checking account.  I've been using my checking account and routing number or my cubemate's for testing.

I just noticed today that if I put in the wrong Routing Number the transaction always fails, but if I put in the correct Routing Number and pretty darn anything I want in the Account Number it passes???  Does Authorize.NET validate the Account Numbers in Test?  If not, why?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!

WadeGDouglas
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@WadeGDouglas In short, because the ACH process that all checks, including eChecks, use is different from the credit card process. There is no instant authorization -- rather, checks are submitted through the ACH network for clearance, and the customer's financial institution either honors the check or doesn't. In cases of mismatches, it's not uncommon for the financial institution to honor the check regardless, upon identifying the correct account, and submitting a Notice of Change (NOC) to inform the merchant of the correct account information. Therefore, the routing number is the far more important number to get right.

We're required by NACHA policy to only accept valid ABA routing numbers, which are assigned to individual financial institutions. But since the system has alternate means to ensure payment is successful, account verification is not an option.

This and more is touched upon in the eCheck.Net Users Guide.

That said, there are third-party check verification services, but we do not currently support those -- although I cannot rule anything out for the future.

--
"Move fast and break things," out. "Move carefully and fix what you break," in.

View solution in original post

Lilith
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
1 REPLY 1

@WadeGDouglas In short, because the ACH process that all checks, including eChecks, use is different from the credit card process. There is no instant authorization -- rather, checks are submitted through the ACH network for clearance, and the customer's financial institution either honors the check or doesn't. In cases of mismatches, it's not uncommon for the financial institution to honor the check regardless, upon identifying the correct account, and submitting a Notice of Change (NOC) to inform the merchant of the correct account information. Therefore, the routing number is the far more important number to get right.

We're required by NACHA policy to only accept valid ABA routing numbers, which are assigned to individual financial institutions. But since the system has alternate means to ensure payment is successful, account verification is not an option.

This and more is touched upon in the eCheck.Net Users Guide.

That said, there are third-party check verification services, but we do not currently support those -- although I cannot rule anything out for the future.

--
"Move fast and break things," out. "Move carefully and fix what you break," in.
Lilith
Administrator Administrator
Administrator