cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oAuth authentication available or coming?

Hi folks, I am looking to see if Authorize.net offers oAuthn authentication or if they have plans to do so. I work at DigMyData and we're looking to integrate with Authorize.net to allow our customers to download their Authorize.net data into their accounts. We strongly prefer the oAuth model for authenticating.

Searching the forums for "oAuth" didn't bring up any results, but thought I would ask the community.

Cheers,

Adam

mrclark411
4 REPLIES 4

I rather doubt it's already implemented, since OAuth is one of those esoteric things like Node.js that may become popular in the future but is years from common usage. I could be wrong, of course, but this is the first time I've heard it mentioned on the forum, and I've been browsing here for a couple months.

Here's a stupid question - can't you just use store their Authorize.net login somewhere and then use https and the Authorize.net transaction details API to collect the info you need? I know that's more of a traditional authentication method, but it works.

TJPride
Expert

Hi TJPride,

Yes, we could ask for the Authorize.net login like everyone else does. The downside is that we then have their key AND perhaps more importantly, it's a cumbersome process (they have to leave our website, find the key, and come back). oAuth is becoming the standard with Google, Facebook, MailChimp, PayPal, and many others moving that direction. 

It isn't an insignicant change to implement oAuth but it is more secure (user retains ability to kill the permission) and is a better experience.

Adam

Well, it sounds like a nice idea in theory. You could try calling or emailing Authorize.net and see if you can maybe convince someone there, though if I had to guess, I'd say now is not the time for a paradigm shift.

Hi there,

Currently, Authorize.Net does not support oAuth and there are no plans that I'm aware of to do so in the immediate future. However, I am passing your feedback on to our development teams for their consideration. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks,

Michelle

Developer Community Manager