cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prior auth and capture with higher amount than the original amount

First a transaction is approved of type: AUTH_ONLY with amount, say: 100$.

Now, I made a transaction of type: PRIOR_AUTH_CAPTURE with amount: 120$.

I get an error saying: The amount requested for settlement cannot be greater than the original amount authorized.

But I actually need to capture for 120$, in this case what is the solution to capture for 120$.

Please help!

sandeepk
7 REPLIES 7

You can't capture more then you authorized. The credit card processors do not allow it. Make sure you authorize enough to cover what you may charge or else you'll have to get another payment from your customer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Conde :: Certified Authorize.Net Developer (Brainyminds) :: Official Authorize.Net Blogger

NEW! Handling Authorize.Net's Webhooks with PHP

Integrate Every Authorize.Net JSON API with One PHP Class (Sample code included)

Tutorials for integrating Authorize.Net with PHP: AIM, ARB, CIM, Silent Post
All About Authorize.Net's Silent Post
stymiee
Expert
Expert

This must be something that AuthNet does.  My experience with other merchant accounts / gateways is that you can capture more than the originally authorized amount, but when you do this it causes the transaction to fall into a mid or non-qualified tier and you get charged a higher fee.

Does AuthNet simply never offer this sort of thing, or does that depend on your merchant provider?  Maybe some AuthNet Gateway compatible merchant providers would allow it..??

Just trying to get my mind around some of these rules because I see conflicting information all over the place depending on which gateway/merchant account I'm looking at.

This is not an Authorize.Net thing. This is how Visa, MasterCard, Amex, and Discover Card all work and will happen regardless of which payment gateway you use.

The only way to capture more then ther original amount is to be a pre-approved SIC code such as a restaurant or any other business that tips are allowed for. In these cases you may add up to a specified percentage on to the original transaction amount. If more is added then the transaction will fall to a non-qualified rate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Conde :: Certified Authorize.Net Developer (Brainyminds) :: Official Authorize.Net Blogger

NEW! Handling Authorize.Net's Webhooks with PHP

Integrate Every Authorize.Net JSON API with One PHP Class (Sample code included)

Tutorials for integrating Authorize.Net with PHP: AIM, ARB, CIM, Silent Post
All About Authorize.Net's Silent Post

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I've done it with PayPal, PayFlow, PayLeap, Optimal Payments, and Group ISO.  It works just fine regardless of the SIC code of the merchant in my experience with all of these, but as we both mentioned, it will fall to a mid or non-qualified transaction when done.

I've never specifically tested it with Authorize.Net, but if what you're saying is true then I stand by what I said...it must be an AuthNet thing.

Hi,

You can process a "capture only" and our system will not restrict the amount, but we cannot recommend this behavior or guarantee that the transactions will settle successfully. I would strongly recommend discussing recommended procedures with your merchant service provider.

Thanks,

Joy

I was just recently told that it was impossible with Authorize.net to do this? Can you tell me how you can?

The mod just said it how.