cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

questions about automated recurring billing

Hello everyone. I need some help with the basics of Authorize.net. 

I am a developer working for a new start up company and they need automated billing on their website. I recommended them sign up for authorize.net as I have worked with it before (at least, on the programming side I have). They threw me into the middle of setting up their account and everything, and I'm just getting kind of lost and having an enxiety attack over this stuff!

I have a few questions if anyone could help that would be great.

1) Sandbox account - I have created a sandbox account to play with Authorize.net's automated billing programming (I've worked with their payment systems before but not with the automated billing). I uploaded Authorize.net's sample files (the PHP SDK files, PHP ARB XML zip) and when I try to submit an automated order, I get the following message:

Response Text: Automated Recurring Billing is not enabled.

I'm assuming that I can't test automated billing with a sandbox account. Is there no way to turn this on in Sanbox mode?What is the point of it then? I have no idea how the systems works and I'm supposed to test this on their live system/account?

2) When an automated billing payment is made - I understand how to submit and cancel orders in the system, but how do I know when Authorize.net charges someone for a monthly payment (and if a payment is declined)? I wanted to run a daily cron job to check when users were billed so their website can generate an invoice on our end. I also want to know if a payment was declined so we can give them the option to update their CC information.

I think that's it for the technical questions. I have to get these people to get the merchant account too somehow... thanks for any help.

etbwebdesign
3 REPLIES 3

1)login https://sandbox.authorize.net/

enabled it under account settings

2)setup silent post,

or if you want to check it the day of it and all your daily transactions under 1000, there http://developer.authorize.net/api/transaction_details/ for the unsettled

if you can check it the day after, you can use the settled which don't have a max transactions.

Also, if you want even more control, there

http://community.developer.authorize.net/t5/The-Authorize-Net-Developer-Blog/CIM-vs-ARB/ba-p/8250

RaynorC1emen7
Expert

Hello Raynor, thank you for the response, unfortunately there is no way to turn on the automated billing on a sandbox account. I went under account settings as you asked and there are no links to enable the automated billing function for a sandbox account. I've read the doumentation as well and it looks like I'm doing everything right, for some reason you just can't test automated recurring billing on a sandbox account. I may have to recommend the people I work for to go with a different payment gateway because this service is becoming too frustrating to work with.

Just double check, it wasn't under Account settings, it just on the left sidebar "Home" tab when you login

Recurring Billing