cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I am having an issue accepting payments in my live platform.

Hello I am integrating authorize net to accept payments with my online ordering system. I was using a sandbox account that was not attached to the merchant account I am building for. I am getting an error when switching my sandbox's API Login ID and Transaction Key to the merchant accounts live API Login ID and live Transaction Key.

I am getting the error E00124 "The provided access token is invalid The access token used to validate the request is insufficient to do so. Applicable only to the Authorize.Net API when using OAuth as an authentication method.

Other suggestions: See the OAuth documentation for more details."

I am not using OAuth with my application so I am not understanding why this error is happening. I just want to accept real credit cards on behalf of a merchant account. I was reaching out to integration support with auth.net and they were not able to tell me why this error is happening or how to fix it?

I found this guide online but do not understand if I should be using this or not and dont understand who the Partner is in Step 1. 
I also dont know if I should be using this guide or not because I dont think I am using OAuth 2.0.

I really need help very badly with this as I have hit a deadend and anything I do with authorize net support does not help a single bit. Please help me!!!!!!!!

kyleruban
6 REPLIES 6

On Friday, July 28th, 2023, I called Authorize Net tech support with a very similar issue.

I was using my sandbox account credentials, posting to the TEST URLs, trying to do a REFUND type transaction, receiving the same response you received.

I was told that I cannot post a REFUND to the test URLs. If I did try I would get the message you received.

I hth...

marine2026
Trusted Contributor

I had no issues with anything in my sandbox. I am only having this issue when in PRODUCTION and trying to use a real credit card along with a the merchants Live API Login ID and Transaction Key I am working for 

Did you change from the TEST URL to the LIVE URL?

marine2026
Trusted Contributor

Many times when I am preparing a written description of a tech support request, and I am verifying each thing I write, I find something during that process that I missed, that helps me solve it.
You are ahead of me in this process, so I am not able to see from the perspective you have.
I've been reading the docs, so I answer from what I remember from them...

marine2026
Trusted Contributor

I understand that you're facing difficulties with the E00124 error in the Authorize.Net API, and you're unsure about whether to use OAuth or not. Let's break it down to clarify the situation:

1. **E00124 Error and OAuth:** The E00124 error you encountered is specific to the Authorize.Net API when using OAuth as the authentication method. This means that the API request requires an access token, and the token provided is either invalid or insufficient to validate the request. However, you mentioned that you are not using OAuth with your application, which makes this error unexpected.

2. **Using OAuth with Authorize.Net:** OAuth is an authentication protocol that allows secure access to APIs without revealing sensitive credentials. It is an optional method for authenticating API requests with Authorize.Net. If you are not intentionally using OAuth, it's possible that the API request is somehow being interpreted or processed as an OAuth request, leading to the error.

3. **Partner Information in Step 1:** The guide you found online about OAuth with Authorize.Net may not be directly relevant to your situation if you are not using OAuth. The "Partner" in Step 1 of that guide typically refers to third-party service providers or partners who integrate with Authorize.Net on behalf of their merchants. If you are not working as a partner, this step may not apply to you.

To troubleshoot the issue and resolve the error, consider the following steps:

a. **Check API Request:** Double-check your API request to ensure that there are no inadvertent OAuth headers or parameters being sent.

b. **Contact Authorize.Net Support:** Reach out to Authorize.Net support again, providing them with as much detail as possible about your integration, including the API request headers, endpoint, and payload. Explain that you are not using OAuth and are unsure why you are receiving this error.

c. **Review Developer Documentation:** Carefully review the official Authorize.Net API documentation to ensure that you are following the correct guidelines for your intended integration method (non-OAuth).

d. **Community Forums:** Consider posting your question on the Authorize.Net community forums or developer forums. Other developers and experts may have encountered similar issues and can offer helpful insights.

It's essential to understand the authentication method you are using and ensure that your API requests align with the correct approach. If you still face difficulties, expert guidance from the Authorize.Net community or support team should be able to assist you further.

Hi there,

I understand that you're having trouble accepting payments in your live platform. The error message you're getting, E00124, means that the access token you're using is invalid. This can happen for a few reasons:

• You're not using the correct API Login ID and Transaction Key for your live merchant account.
  • You're not using OAuth 2.0, which is the required authentication method for live transactions.
  • There's a problem with your OAuth configuration.

To troubleshoot this issue, I recommend checking the following:

Make sure you're using the correct API Login ID and Transaction Key for your live merchant account. You can find these credentials in your Authorize.Net account settings.
Make sure you're using OAuth 2.0. If you're not sure how to do this, you can follow the guide you linked to in your message.
Check your OAuth configuration. Make sure you've created a client ID and client secret, and that you're passing these values correctly in your API requests.
If you've checked all of these things and you're still getting the error, please contact Authorize.Net support. They should be able to help you troubleshoot the issue further.

In the meantime, here are some additional resources that might be helpful:

Authorize.Net API Reference: https://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/
Authorize.Net OAuth 2.0 Documentation: https://developer.authorize.net/api/reference/features/oauth.html
Authorize.Net Support: https://support.authorize.net/
I hope this helps!

Best regards,

mishafauci